We organized a game for children from 8 to 9 years old to inform them about the traffic signals, the benefits of using the bicycle and the use of protective equipment to cycle safely in the streets
On the other hand we also decided to inform on how to be responsible as a pedestrian: how to cross the street and to respect the signs that are on the streets of our city
The objective of this work was to make the children of our city feel safer when travelling on the streets, since it is one of the most vulnerable groups.
We must mention that it is very difficult for children to make a decision when they participate in transit as pedestrians. Not knowing the rules of road safety as a pedestrian or when riding a bicycle, infants react unexpectedly and can provoke an accident. Through the previous talk we have done, the students did a great fieldwork and realized that they were able to prevent many accidents.
The Primary Level students can not always anticipate the dangers on the streets, and they have difficulty measuring the speeds and distances of the vehicles. The children also found themselves in a dangerous situation, when they play. As they are new more informed, we managed to lower that index and they were able to learn by having fun.
From younger ages, we manage to make them understand how to behave safely on the street. Acquiring this knowledge can save lives and protect their health. The most important of these actions was to educate the children so that they are aware of the potential dangers, they can learn how to avoid them and how to proceed with a specific event, minimizing the accident rates related to road traffic.
After applying the "brainstorming" method, we debated and managed to develop a playful activity aimed at the Primary Level students (8-9 years old) of our San Patricio de Luján School.
The main ideas of the game are:
• Draw on the ground lines that simulate trails, streets, routes and signs.
• Arm traffic signs:
Development and argumentation of the game:
- The game will begin with a previous informative talk and the students will give "game mode" options, which may be: "PEDESTRIAN" player, "CYCLIST" player and "AUTOMOVILIST" player.
- Once chosen the player mode that each participant wants to develop, they will find different informative advertisements and scoring.
- The "PEDESTRIAN" players will play an important role as well, since they have to read the signage and to look carefully to both sides to cross the street. In this way we generate in the players a greater perception of the distance and speeds of the means of transport and in such a way they avoid accidents.
- At the end of the game, we called the students to reflect and the comments were very positive which made us realize that we had achieved our goal. We have found that they were able to learn the importance of traffic signs and the benefits obtained when using a bicycle, as well as how to take precautions to avoid accidents. The students alone took the commitment to transmit the message in their homes so that their families become aware and can apply in everyday life, also use the protections to circulate correctly with the bicycle.
Besides this game, we also placed announcements that security measures should be used to drive the bicycle more safely and about the causes of vehicle pollution. And we carry out an informative talk on the benefits of frequent bicycle use and what are the environmental impacts of using vehicles (cars and motorcycles).